Our time in Berlin went so fast but we had a wonderful time. There was so much to see and so much history surrounding the city. We went on a walking tour led by a guy from London who did his undergrad in German History. He told us so many incredible stories and I felt like I learned more in 4 hours than I did in 4 years of highschool! We also toured a concentration campwhich left a deep imprint on me. Our tour guide told us that just last week he had a rocket shot at him from the road while giving the tour. I walked through the Holocaust Memorial and was overwhelmed by the experience. Seventy percent of Berlin was bombed making most of the structures relatively new compared to everywhere else we have been. We also found a random outdoor art gallery created by squaters. It was extremely alternative and really cool. We also found a cafe with swings for chairs…it was delightful.
Stockholm Top 5 List:
1. Getting to know the Downeys and learning the meaning of true hospitality. Thank you Madeleine!
2. Bike riding along the Baltic Sea. And walking on it because it was completely frozen.
3. Learning about Flash Mobs – a group of people who meet in an open square and perform a spontaneous choreographed dance. People in Stockholm did a tribute to Michael Jackson. Here is the link:
4. Eating lots of chocolate and having evening tea.
5. Exploring the city. There are 30 thousand islands in the surrounding areas!